Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Past Few Days...

Sorry we haven't posted in a while! We've been really busy the past few days but want to share about our last few days in the township and our weekend in Stellenbosch. First off just thought I should share that I learned how to play the marimba this past week. Probably one of the coolest instruments I've ever gotten to play. At the Amy Biehl Foundation we got to sign up to help in a certain area at the after school program so I chose to work with the music. I learned a whole song then got to perform it with some of the little kids there. Thursday we went back to the township for the third time to play with the kids and talk with our soup moms. My soup mom Mrs. Hetta made a fire especially for us and made sure her whole family was there so we could all stand and talk around the fire. We compared holiday traditions with each other and they talked about how lamb was an expensive treat they saved for Christmas. Mrs. Hetta told us she would always feed children in her community with the extra food from her holiday meal. Even though her family barely had enough money to spend on their own food, Mrs. Hetta still reached out to others to make sure they got a meal too. She is such a role model for her community and has the biggest heart for others. Friday was the last day in Sir Lowry’s Pass. One of the little kids I had gotten attached to, Yolandi, found me right when I got off the bus and never left my side the whole day. We played lots of games with all the kids there then went to Mrs. Hetta’s house for the last time.We took pictures with her and her family and promised to send them to her so she could hang them on her wall of pictures with past Global LEAD students. Mrs. Hetta prayed for us before we left and told each of us she loved us when we were leaving. It was so hard to say goodbye to these people I had grown so close to in so little time and that I knew I would probably never see again. They truly taught me how little you need to be happy. I will never forget the life lessons Mrs. Hetta taught me.

My group with Mrs. Hetta
After service week 40 of us took a weekend trip to Stellenbosch. It is home to the University of Stellenbosch as well as many vineyards that make the famous wine of South Africa. We left about about 12 p.m. on Saturday so no worries we still made it to Old Biscuit Mill where we both got Belgium Waffles, they were divine. Once we got to Stellenbosch we took a tour of a brandy distillery and a vineyard. It was absolutely gorgeous! After that we headed to check into a hostel located right by the university campus. For dinner we all went to a tapas restaurant for a friend's birthday, and ate some more delicious food. We ended the night at a local favorite Catwalk where we met many of the college students. Sunday we wandered around the quaint town. We had a nice breakfast and the most delicious gelato I have ever tasted. It was so fun to experience and visit another college town. After a full weekend we ended it tonight with a Sunday night dinner with the whole Global LEAD group and staff. I can't believe we leave just two weeks from today to go back home! 

Roommates!

Wine tasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment