Saturday, June 16, 2012

Top 5

As our trip comes to a close here are each of our top five favorites of Global LEAD Cape Town 2012!

Katherine:
1. Making new friends. Over the past 5 weeks I have grown close to so many people. Sharing all these new experiences and facing fears with all the other students of Global LEAD will definitely bring you together. I know that some of the friendships I have made will last forever.
2. Sunrise hike of Lion's Head. Hiking up a mountain when it is pitch black dark in the morning and getting to the top to watch the sun rise over the city was absolutely incredible. I watched the sunset the night before so being able to watch the sun rise the next morning made the experience even more memorable.
3. Sir Lowry's Pass. Getting to play with all the children and forming those special relationships were some of my favorite parts of service week. I will always remember the sweet little girl, Yolandi, that found me every day and didn't speak much English but would stay by my side throughout the whole day and give me the biggest hugs every time I left. Also the one memory that will remain with me forever is seeing Mrs. Hetta, the soup mom I spent the week with, waving and crying as the bus pulled away for the last time. It blew my mind that spending a week with someone who opened her home and heart to me would be impacted as much as I was.
4. Bungee jumping. Literally the scariest thing I have ever had to do. I absolutely hate heights, but the feeling I had after facing my biggest fear was incredible. Standing on the edge of the highest bungee bridge in the world, flying in the air, and waiting for what seemed like forever to get back on solid ground was an unforgettable experience. I'm so glad I did it but can't say I would be the first to do it again.
5. FOOD! I have always loved trying new foods but Cape Town took this to a new level. I can honestly say I didn't have one bad meal the whole 5 weeks I was there. Ostrich, wildebeest, impala, kudu, springbok, crocodile, kingclip, and prawns were just a few of the new foods I tried....all of which I loved.

Mary Claire:
1. Bungee Jumping. I can't even describe the feeling the moment you jump off the bridge. It's in between the feeling of "Oh my gosh I'm going to die" and the biggest peace and stillness I have ever experienced. I think I could be talked into doing it again...
2. Old Biscuit Mill. If only there was something like this in the United States. You can get anything you want to eat, from egg benedict (to die for and I don't even like runny eggs), waffles, sandwiches, ice cream, coffee, dried fruit, pizza, and the list goes on. Then there is the shopping. I could buy everything, and I almost did.
3. Sir Lowry's Pass. The best feeling in the world came at the Final Celebration. There was one little girl in particular that I met during service week. She was about five and spoke no english, but she held onto me the entire time. I looked for her during the final celebration and spotted her with a fellow Global LEADer. I went up and gave her a hug and then left because I figured she wanted to stay with the other girl. About 30 minutes later, the Global LEADer came up to me with the girl and said she had been asking and searching for me ever since I left.
4. The food. We all are coming back with snug clothes. Seriously the Cape Town 10 was not a joke. Every meal I have had has been beyond delicious! I have also tried some very different foods such as ostrich, kudu, springbok, crocodile, kingklip, and mussels. My diet and workout plan starts tomorrow!
5. Meeting new friends. Seriously the people have made the trip! Through our experiences we have all grown really close. Leaving all of the new friends I have made will probably be the saddest part of leaving Cape Town!


See you in America!! 

1 comment:

  1. Just shared with your Mom as we sat on the beach. I am so proud of you and so interested in the experiences you have had. Can't wait to come to the lake and see pictures of your trip!

    ReplyDelete